Friday, June 21, 2013

Final Project-Outside of the Box.

Outside the Box




My idea of documentary it goes along with what Nichols expresses about the idea of constructing national identity. I believed that this idea build a better understanding of community in humanity. With almost every piece that I watched from the Observational to Documentary and the Gospel my desire of getting involved with community or a sense of belonging increased. Nichols Explained this term with these words,

“The construction of national identities involves the construction of a sense of community. “Community” invokes feelings of common purpose and mutual respect, of reciprocal relationships closer to family ties than contractual obligation. Shared values and beliefs are vital to a sense of community, whereas contractual relationship can be carried out despite differences of value and belief.  A sense of community often seems like an “organic” quality that binds people together when they share a tradition, culture, or common goal. As such it may seem far removed from issues of ideology, where competing beliefs struggle to win our hearts and minds.”

This means that the sense of belonging somewhere is more powerful than any other rational feelings, it is intrinsic in us.  While reading Nichols thought I also think that this idea of community can come from the inside and the outside. An autobiographical experience can be a valuable as an observational piece refers to one topic. Both to me are valid and deserved a certain kind of exposition.  Because people watching this are also going to have an autobiographical experience and even though they might not be recording their own experience watching a video, this can be create a great impact. In short, I believe that my idea of documentary is a recreation of something that can help to create a sort of need of community, and at the same time is that experience watching the one that position us being in the outside, and at the same time having a personal experience with the subject and making our own idea of this like an autobiographical mode. 

[My documentary has some flaws on editing and maybe narrative. I believe there is an idea that I wanted to point out and even though aesthetically is not the most amusing, it still works for the purpose of creating an idea of documentary. ]

In my piece I evolve to an essayistic mode that could use more that one mode to express one idea.  It is the case of the greening Cat in which one topic is presented and there is some meander during the film that would eventually lead us to a greater conclusion of a determined topic. I wanted to talk with an autobiographical narrator, the experience that I’m having here in the United States.  The earthquake is a metaphor that helped me understand better the value of the community I left in Chile. The feeling of suddenly having no roots and nostalgia about a nation. It took only 3 minutes to have the feeling that I might have lost everything, and that the place I was by that time, it was only temporary. There is a link with my story to all immigrants or people who live outside their own country, it can be for a couple of years or for decades. There is this nostalgia and idealization of what is left and the eternal desire of coming back to a land that saw us depart. In the Fox reading he said that when “autobiographical mode is successful, the use of self serves as an access point to a political and historical questions of a larger social relevance.” Even though I might agree with this statement, I still think that using more than one mode  can be very useful to provoke in an audience to ask themselves political and historical questions with social relevance.

Is for that reason that I also include myself in this film, just reflecting about my experience from the outside, and my friend’s experience from the inside.  To make is more essayistic I thought that both point of views are equally valid.  At the same time I realize I really small interview to my friend in a participatory style in which I was engage with the topic as director and also as someone from that country. And finally the Performative mode helped me to inspired and to explained a concept that putting in another way I think It wouldn’t be as powerful as watching this Chilean cowboy dancing to the flag. This represent immigrant who get to a point in which connecting with their roots is essential. Also, is part of building our own little world to make us feel a bit closer to our cultures and believes and most importantly to our community.
By the end of this work I come back again with my own thought and reflections about the impact that had in me this whole experience.  I don’t think I’m formulating only one way to go from my own opinion, but I wanted to inspired some reflection about where is our community and what are we doing to preserve that in our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment