Monday, November 5, 2012

PROTEST POSTER






I selected the issue of Sexualizing Children on Fashion because I have a niece who is five years old and loves to pose for pictures. I made this poster and posted with privacy settings to discuss with a couple of adults, also in the TMA 112 class. I even hesitate on posting this picture because; even though I took it I don’t think is a picture that should be posted freely on the web because of the provoking pose of this five years old girl.  I love taking pictures, and I’m usually looking other professional’s work related to photography, I’ve started to realized how media, in especial the fashion industry is sexualizing children with the style of pictures. Make up and the poses represent a far more adult person than a child. Also, nowadays children are promoting teen and even adult clothe, depicting a fake reality of how a woman should look, or the size it should be compared with the size of a little girl dress like a grown woman.

With that information in mind, I looked different organizations which support this issue, the one I came across is www.theadvocatesforhumanrights.org that is concern of many issues including the “End of Sexualization of Girl and Young Woman in the Mainstream Media.”  One popular case of this is the young girl Thylane Blondeau who poses for the Vogue magazine in very questionable poses and clothes being 10 years of age.

In short, I had many different reactions about this picture, since the effects on kids of working on the fashion industry leading to anorexia and an early sexual activity to the effects of these kind of publicity or pictures on pedophiles.  Serious consequences that for others commenting on the web, talking about my project, did not see the great deal on this, and they even liked the picture. I guess it depends with what kind of eyes a person can look at this picture, although I believe that thinking that all people would be able to see only what we see is also very naive.  Innocence cannot be represented with make up, as well as a child shouldn’t be depicting a grown woman. 

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting issue that is hardly ever talked about. It's slightly disturbing that very few people saw anything wrong with the picture in your poster. I recently read an article that talked about this issue in relation to Mormonism:
    http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org/2012/09/mormon-modesty-we-have-to-do-better/

    -Rae

    ReplyDelete